* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX falls 1.47 percent to 14,881.16
* Leading the index were SSR Mining Inc <SSRM.TO>, up 6.0%, Alacer Gold Corp , up 5.5%, and Seabridge Gold Inc , higher by 5.2%.
* Lagging shares were Aurora Cannabis Inc , down 13.1%, Lightspeed POS Inc, down 8.3%, and Element Fleet Management Corp, lower by 7.4%.
* On the TSX 49 issues rose and 178 fell as a 0.3-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 6 new highs and 1 new low, with total volume of 306.0 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Manulife Financial Corp , B2gold Corp and Enbridge Inc.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 0.88 points, or 1.2%, while the financials sector slipped 4.97 points, or 2.0%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 4.97%, or $1.2, to $25.34 a barrel. Brent crude fell 0.57%, or $0.17, to $29.46
* The TSX is off 12.8% for the year.