* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 1.04 percent to 16,789.97
* Leading the index were BlackBerry Ltd <BB.TO>, up 6.4%, Aritzia Inc , up 6.3%, and Silvercrest Metals Inc , higher by 5.3%.
* Lagging shares were Westshore Terminals Investment Corp , down 11.0%, Seven Generations Energy Ltd, down 5.2%, and Whitecap Resources Inc, lower by 4.9%.
* On the TSX 135 issues rose and 82 fell as a 1.6-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 2 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 172.1 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were B2gold Corp , Kinross Gold Corp and Royal Bank Of Canada.
* The TSX’s energy group fell 1.88 points, or 2.2%, while the financials sector climbed 4.75 points, or 1.7%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 0.14%, or $0.06, to $43.41 a barrel. Brent crude fell 0.33%, or $0.15, to $45.71 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 1.6% for the year.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.