* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.39 percent to 16,184.54
* Leading the index were Ballard Power Systems Inc <BLDP.TO>, up 8.7%, NFI Group Inc , up 7.5%, and New Gold Inc , higher by 5.3%.
* Lagging shares were Cenovus Energy Inc , down 6.5%, Crescent Point Energy Corp, down 5.0%, and Suncor Energy Inc, lower by 4.7%.
* On the TSX 161 issues rose and 59 fell as a 2.7-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 7 new highs and 1 new low, with total volume of 214.8 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Suncor Energy Inc , Canadian Natural Resources Ltd and Cenovus Energy Inc.
* The TSX’s energy group fell 2.33 points, or 3.6%, while the financials sector climbed 0.51 points, or 0.2%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 4.08%, or $1.64, to $38.58 a barrel. Brent crude fell 3.66%, or $1.55, to $40.75 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 5.2% for the year.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.