* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.09 percent to 16,199.25
* Leading the index were Vermilion Energy Inc <VET.TO>, up 5.7%, Cascades Inc , up 3.1%, and Husky Energy Inc , higher by 3%.
* Lagging shares were Trillium Therapeutics Inc , down 6.0%, Aurinia Pharmaceuticals Inc, down 3.5%, and New Gold Inc, lower by 3.3%.
* On the TSX 100 issues rose and 120 fell as a 0.8-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 2 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 188.1 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Suncor Energy Inc , Canadian Natural Resources Ltd and Toronto-dominion Bank.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 0.66 points, or 1.1%, while the financials sector climbed 2.50 points, or 0.9%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 4.42%, or $1.71, to $37.01 a barrel. Brent crude fell 4.18%, or $1.71, to $39.22
* The TSX is off 5.1% for the year.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.