* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 1.74 percent to 16,276.96
* Leading the index were Aurora Cannabis Inc <ACB.TO>, up 38.1%, Lightspeed POS Inc , up 15.7%, and Silvercrest Metals Inc , higher by 15.6%.
* Lagging shares were Badger Daylighting Ltd , down 12.6%, Norbord Inc, down 4.1%, and Stantec Inc, lower by 3.7%.
* On the TSX 170 issues rose and 52 fell as a 3.3-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 15 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 206.3 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Aphria Inc and Enbridge Inc.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 0.32 points, or 0.5%, while the financials sector climbed 0.43 points, or 0.2%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 1.61%, or $0.63, to $38.52 a barrel. Brent crude fell 1.24%, or $0.51, to $40.72 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 4.6% for the year.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.