June 12, 2016 / 8:37 AM / in a year

Kazakhstan says all Islamist attack suspects detained

ALMATY (Reuters) - Kazakh security forces detained three men on Sunday suspected of being Islamist militants linked to deadly attacks a week earlier in the city of Akrobe, the National Security Committee said.

An exterior view shows a national guard base after a recent suspected Islamist militant attack in Aktobe, Kazakhstan, June 7, 2016. REUTERS/Olzhas Auyezov

Everyone linked to the June 5 attacks had now been detained or neutralized, it added, without going into further detail.

At least 25 people including 18 attackers died during the assaults on a national guard base and firearms shops, and in the subsequent manhunt.

Authorities have not identified the attackers, but President Nursultan Nazarbayev said they were Salafists, the followers of an ultra-conservative school of Islam, who had received instructions from abroad.

Reporting by Olzhas Auyezov; Editing by Andrew Heavens

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below