(Reuters) - The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX fell 45.23 points, or 0.28 percent, to 16,049.02.
* Lagging shares were Aphria Inc , down 3.7 percent, AltaGas Ltd, down 3.0 percent, and Boyd Group Income Fund BYD_u.TO, lower by 2.6 percent.
* Leading percentage gainers were New Gold Inc , up 22.3 percent, Bausch Health Companies Inc , up 12.8 percent, and Hudson’s Bay Co , higher by 7.8 percent.
* On the TSX 128 issues advanced and 110 declined as a 1.2-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 6 new highs and 7 new lows, with total volume of 266.2 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Aphria Inc and New Gold Inc.
* The TSX’s energy group fell 0.63 points, or 0.34 percent, while the financials sector slipped 2.21 points, or -0.72 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 1.5 percent, or $1.04, to $70.28 a barrel. Brent crude rose 0.81 percent, or $0.64, to $79.7 [O/R]
* The TSX is off about 1 percent for the year.
Reporting By Sinéad Carew