FILE PHOTO: A TMX Group sign, the company that runs the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), is seen in Toronto, June 23, 2014. REUTERS/Mark Blinch
- The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.45 percent to 16,611.14
- Leading the index were BlackBerry Ltd (BB.TO), up 5.5 percent, OceanaGold Corp (OGC.TO), up 4.9 percent, and SNC-Lavalin Group Inc (SNC.TO), higher by 4.5 percent.
- Lagging shares were Gran Tierra Energy Inc (GTE.TO), down 2.4 percent, Pason Systems Inc (PSI.TO), down 2.4 percent, and Enerflex Ltd (EFX.TO), lower by 2.2 percent.
- On the TSX 137 issues rose and 95 fell as a 1.4-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 5 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 218.5 million shares.
- The most heavily traded shares by volume were Encana Corp ECA.TO, Bombardier Inc (BBDb.TO) and Crescent Point Energy Corp (CPG.TO).
- The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN fell 0.01 points, or 0.0 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 2.51 points, or 0.8 percent.
- West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 fell 2.37 percent, or $1.36, to $56.04 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 fell 2.07 percent, or $1.29, to $61.09 [O/R]
- The TSX is up 16 percent for the year.