* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 1.73 percent to 14,166.63
* Leading the index were MTY Food Group Inc <MTY.TO>, up 25.9%, Bausch Health Companies Inc , up 14.8%, and Seabridge Gold Inc , higher by 14%.
* Lagging shares were MEG Energy Corp , down 9.2%, Empire Company Ltd, down 6.2%, and Cenovus Energy Inc, lower by 6.1%.
* On the TSX 178 issues rose and 49 fell as a 3.6-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 5 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 436.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc , Cenovus Energy Inc and Meg Energy Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group fell 1.31 points, or 1.9%, while the financials sector climbed 3.88 points, or 1.5%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 7.57%, or $1.9, to $23.19 a barrel. Brent crude fell 3.32%, or $1.09, to $31.75 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 17% for the year.