* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 2.50 percent to 14,288.16
* Leading the index were Secure Energy Services Inc <SES.TO>, up 25.8%, Alamos Gold Inc , up 11.5%, and Torex Gold Resources Inc , higher by 11.2%.
* Lagging shares were Great Canadian Gaming Corp , down 3.4%, Brookfield Property Partners LP BPY_u.TO, down 2.7%, and CAE Inc, lower by 2.6%.
* On the TSX 181 issues rose and 46 fell as a 3.9-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 9 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 267.1 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc , Cenovus Energy Inc and Manulife Financial Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 4.00 points, or 6.5%, while the financials sector climbed 1.44 points, or 0.6%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 22.99%, or $2.66, to $14.23 a barrel. Brent crude rose 7.45%, or $1.44, to $20.77 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 16.3% for the year.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.