* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX falls 0.26 percent to 14,251.09
* Leading the index were Baytex Energy Corp <BTE.TO>, up 14.9%, Frontera Energy Corp , up 13%, and Enerplus Corp , higher by 10.6%.
* Lagging shares were Alaris Royalty Corp , down 7.7%, Atco Ltd, down 4.5%, and Westshore Terminals Investment Corp, lower by 4.0%.
* On the TSX 131 issues rose and 96 fell as a 1.4-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 13 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 311.0 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Cenovus Energy Inc , Baytex Energy Corp and B2gold Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 1.56 points, or 2.4%, while the financials sector slipped 2.00 points, or 0.8%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 22.42%, or $3.09, to $16.87 a barrel. Brent crude rose 6.92%, or $1.41, to $21.78 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 16.5% for the year.